Sunday, February 16, 2014

MY SURVIVAL KIT.


Its so easy with these cold dark wintry days to flop in front of the t.v. when you get home from work, or when you have finally put the kids to bed, to tuck into a big carb laden supper, with a large glass or two of wine, and a bar of chocolate! 

And so, this is the time of year I really like to take stock of all areas of my lifestyle. Work has been really hectic recently, and lots of family commitments too, which has meant little time for this (my blog), and looking after myself the way I like to.

I try to practice balance all areas in my life, but as we all know sometimes it goes out the window, and we need to get it all back on track.

So this is my "go to" survival kit, to try and re-address things......


1.  Eat healthy fresh, "clean" organic, and local foods whenever possible.


image via

Want to know what makes food clean? 



James Duigan author of the Clean and Lean diet says foods that.......

Have changed little from their natural state - an apple still looks like the apple on a tree, whereas a crisp looks nothing like a potato.
Don't need any added artificial flavours added.
Don't last for months.
Generally contain less than five or six ingredients
Have no ingredients you cant pronounce.
Don't list sugar as their main ingredient.
Don't make you feel bloated, gassy or uncomfortably full.
Satisfy you, so you are not hungry after eating them.





2. Kick-start the day with a glass of warm water with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. 



Ditch the coffee first thing in the morning and start your day with some warm lemon water!

This will help to alkalise your system, and get things moving.......if you know what I mean?!! And continue to drink filtered water throughout the day.

3. Follow, with a veggie packed smoothie 
breakfast such as this....... 


SWEET SPINACH SMOOTHIE.






Ingredients

2 cups spinach leaves, packed
1 ripe pear, peeled, cored, and chopped
15 green or red grapes
170 grams fat-free plain Greek yoghurt
2 tablespoons chopped avocado
1 or 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

Directions

In a blender or food processor, combine all the ingredients until blended to the desired consistency.




4. Stay physically and spiritually fit.

I love how exercise energizes me. The "gym" itself  i.e. the machines/weights area, isn't my favourite place. I love to exercise outdoors, but on these wet wintry dark nights, its just not practical, so the gym does have it's place.

I have recently ended my membership with a local gym, not mentioning any names,  it wasn't that good, and it was costing me a fortune!  So I signed up with the very cleverly named SIMPLY GYM......£16.99 a month all in. They have a great range of classes for all levels, and you can cancel at any time! So come the summer months when I can do my outdoor boot camps again, I won't be paying for something I am not using.






Check out the gym here.....Simply Gym



 Also practicing my soul saviour yoga makes me feel strong internally and externally.




5. Take time for yourself.

It is essential for me to stay sane whilst working in the slightly crazy, but fun fashion industry. Whilst I adore my work, it often doesn't allow for a lot of "me" time. So, spending a few minutes everyday to think about myself, will help keep personal sanity and balance.



6. Quality time with the family.

Getting that work life thing happening is always a major challenge for me. So I really love every moment my family and I spend time together, and try to cherish these times.






And finally.......




7. Treats.

A weekend away.

A couple of squares of Green and Blacks dark chocolate.

A great mani/pedi.

A good book.

An early night with my VHM (very handsome man), and a bottle of bubbles........the alcoholic kind of course!

Dance to your old favourites!

Have a long scented bath with candles.

And perfection...... a good nights SLEEP!!! 







Equilibrium restored.

SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Such a nice reminder to slow down and pay attention to our lives. Great ideas here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great and absolutely usefull post!!!
    THANKYOU so much for share:)*

    Warm greetings frpm Amsterdam,
    Violetta.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig